Sunday, July 06, 2008

Birthdays

The Fourth of July should always fall on a Friday or a Monday.
We've enjoyed a nice, almost peaceful weekend together (almost...there are three house apes here, after all). It is a remarkable difference from this time last year. A year ago, we were trying to correct the nightmare our moving company left for us and get settled in before the baby (whose name we still hadn't chosen) was born on the 13th. We had gotten a fair amount done, but were, by no means, finished when I returned to work on the 5th. Being new at my job, I had not liked missing so many days from work, so I was slightly annoyed and fairly inconvenienced when Marsha called after lunch to inform me that "there's a lot of water..." and maybe I should take her to the hospital. She seemed unsure of what this foretold and I was convinced that it was to be a false alarm...so convinced that I left my computer and all my stuff at my desk and my office door opened.
Upon seeing Marsha and hearing her story, I changed my thinking and the rest is history. A little after 6:00 that evening a little...boy...person...kid...with no name...was born. Here we are a year later and the boy and his sister still don't know his name, thinking that his proper title is "baby", but otherwise, Preston has been a joy and the last year has positively flown. The tiny little bundle that Marsha let me take to the office to show off can walk now and can feed himself (messily), and clap and show off his two new teeth and waylay his sister...it doesn't seem like a year.
Needless to say, we're glad he's here. We've enjoyed getting to know him and we look forward to what he has in store for us for the next year (let's hope this one doesn't pass quite as quickly).





1 comment:

prechrswife said...

Happy first birthday to Preston! Is it just me, or has this year flown by? I can't believe our babies are already one and 11 months...

Love the pictures!